Great Lakes Science Center, Biological Resources Division, U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Department of the Interior
Service Provider DescriptionThe Great Lakes Science Center is located on the North Campus of the
University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. 107 staff members are located in Ann Arbor
and half are located at one of the Center's field stations. The Great Lakes
Science Center exists to meet the Nation's need for scientific information for
restoring, enhancing, managing, and protecting living resources and their
The Center's first director, Dr. John Van Oosten of GLSC begun in 1871when
Congress, by joint resolution, established the United States Fish Commission.
The current center was established in 1927, which bared the name Great Lakes
Biological Laboratory. Over the years a number of name changes and
partnerships were made. In 1996, the National Biological Service was abolished
and the Great Lakes Science Center is moved into the USGS as part of its newly
created Biological Resources Division.
[Summary provided by the USGS.]