[Location: Location_Category='VERTICAL LOCATION', Location_Type='LAND SURFACE']
MRIR/Nimbus-2 Level 1 Meteorological Radiation Data V001 (MRIRN2L1) at GES DISCEntry ID: MRIRN2L1_001
Abstract: The Nimbus 2 Medium Resolution Infrared Radiometer (MRIR) was designed to measure electromagnetic radiation emitted and reflected from the earth and its atmosphere at 5 wavelengths. The five wavelengths regions are as follows:
* 6.7 to 6.9 microns: This channel covers the 6.7 micron water vapor absorption band. Its purpose is to provide information on water vapor distribution in the upper ... troposphere and, in conjunction with the other channels to provide relative humidities at these altitudes
* 10 to 11 microns: This channel measures surface or near surface temperatures over clear portions of the atmosphere. It also provides cloud cover and cloud height information (day and night).
* 14 to 16 microns: This channel, centered about the strong absorption band of C02 at 15 microns, measures radiation which emanates primarily from the stratosphere.
* 5 to 30 microns: This channel measures the emitted long wavelength infrared energy and, in conjunction with the reflected solar radiation channel furnishes data on the heat budget of the planet.
* 0.2 to 4.0 microns: This channel covers more than 99% of the solar spectrum and yields information on the intensity of the reflected solar energy from the earth and its atmosphere.
The Nimbus 2 HRIR data are stored in a binary TAP format (proprietary Tape emulated format) .The MRIR instrument was launched on the Nimbus-2 satellite and was operational from May 15, 1966 through July 28, 1966.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
Dataset Title: MRIR/Nimbus-2 Level 1 Meteorological Radiation Data V001
Dataset Series Name: MRIRN2L1
Dataset Release Date: 2009-05-20T00:00:00.000Z
Dataset Release Place: Greenbelt, MD, USA
Dataset Publisher: Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC)
Data Presentation Form: Digital Science DataOnline Resource: https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/datacollection/MRIRN2L1_001.html
Start Date: 1966-05-15Stop Date: 1966-07-28
Use Constraints Please cite the dataset originator if you use this data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: Online Archive
Distribution Size: 1.0 MB
Distribution Format: binary
Fees: No Fee
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Role: METADATA AUTHOR
Email: jean-jacques.p.bedet at nasa.gov
Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center Code 610.2 NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2009-04-21
Last DIF Revision Date: 2018-12-18