The Ocean-Circulation Database comprises a collection of hydrographic
data gathered during various expeditions to the Southern Ocean
initiated by the Alfred-Wegener-Institute. These expeditions were
undertaken with research vessels Polarstern, Meteor, Knorr and others.
They cover an area from about 30 ... deg. South to 85 deg. South with a
main focus at the Weddell Sea. The data series start in 1983 and are
continued to the present.
Long-term measurements of currents, primarily in the area of the
Wedell Sea, are gathered from current meter moorings. Data series
having Depth, Current-Direction, Current-Speed, Temperature and
Salinity as parameters are collected. High resolution vertical
profiles (CTD) with parameters Depth, Temperature, Conductivity,
Salinity and Oxygen from numerous stations in areas of interest were
obtained during the various cruises.
Basically the following sensors are used for data acquisition:
- ADCP, RDI, Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler
- AV, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter
- AVP, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter incl Pressure
- AVT, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter incl Temperature
- AVTP, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter incl Temperature and Pressure
- AVTS, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter incl Temperature and Salinity
- AVTSP, AANDERAA, Rotor Current Meter incl Temperature Salinity and Pressure
- ACM-2, NEIL BROWN Acoustic Current Meter
- MARK IIIB, NEIL BROWN CTD Sonde
- ME-OTS-CTD, Meerstechnik-Elektronik CTD Sonde
The data are stored in a relational database at the
Alfred-Wegener-Institute. At the current time of writing the database
contains the datasets of about 400 moorings and of about
1100 stations. The database size (also containing data from the North) is
about 700 MB and is continuing to grow.
Data can be obtained after prior consultation with the AWI.