Coupling, Energetics and Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions (CEDAR) is a focused|
Global Change program sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The
scientific objectives of the program are described in the CEDAR Phase III
The CEDAR Data System (formerly the CEDAR Database and before that, the
Incoherent Scatter Radar Database) is a cooperative project between the High
Altitude Observatory (HAO) division of the National Center for Atmospheric
Research (NCAR), the National Science Foundation (NSF), and numerous
institutions that provide upper atmosphere data and model output for community
use. Some of these models are of the following:
- Thermosphere Ionosphere General Circulation Model (TIGCM) developed by
Raymond Noble and colleagues. The TIGCM solves for neutral and ion
temperature and composition, and neutral winds on pressure surfaces between
about 97 km and 550 km. Tidal motions were calculated by Cassandra Fresen.
CEDAR Data Base consists of TIGCM model run for 22 March 1979; 12 TIGCM
generic runs for neutral winds, temperatures, and tides; 18 TIGCM generic
runs for neutral winds, temperatures, and tides at 70W only.
- Assimilative Mapping of Ionospheric Electrodynamics (AMIE) procedure
developed by Arthur Richmond. AMIE solves for auroral energy flux and mean
energy, the height of integrated conductances, and the electric potential and
currents at 100 km for specific periods.
- Solar semi-diurnal tides calculated by Jeffrey Forbes and Francois Vial.
- Lunar semi-diurnal tides calculated by Francois Vial and Jeffery Forbes.
- solar diurnal and semi-diurnal tides calculated by the Global-Scale Wave
Model (GSWM) dveloped by Maura Hagan and coleagues.
The CEDAR Data System mission is to provide:
- long term archive for observations and models of the Earth's upper
atmosphere and geophysical indices and parameters needed to interpret them,
-browsing capability to survey the data holdings and identify periods,
instruments, models, of interest,
- reliable data access methods that are fast, stable and interactive, and
- detailed documentation on data acquisition and reduction.