Record Search Query: [Science_Parameters: Science_Category='EARTH SCIENCE', Science_Topic='OCEANS', Science_Term='OCEAN CIRCULATION']
Community Atmosphere Model (CAM)
Entry ID: NCAR_CAM
Abstract: The CAM 3.0 is the fifth generation of the NCAR atmospheric GCM. The name of
the model series has been changed from Community Climate Model (CCM) to
Community Atmosphere Model (CAM) to reflect the role of CAM 3.0 in the fully
coupled climate system. In contrast to previous generations of the atmospheric
model, CAM 3.0 has been designed through a collaborative process with users and
developers in ... the Atmospheric Model Working Group (AMWG). CAM also serves as
the atmospheric component of the Community Climate System Model (CCSM).
New science developments include:
- Updated parameterizations for prognostic cloud water, cloud ice,
precipitation, and cloud fraction.
- Inclusion of a Slab Ocean Model (SOM).
- Inclusion of ISCCP cloud simulator to simulate ISCCP statistical cloud
- Diagnostic treatment of aerosols (sulfate, dust, sea salt, carbon, and
- Optional prognostic treatment of sulfate aerosols.
- Improved energy conservation.
- Modifications to longwave interaction with water vapor.
- Updates to shortwave scheme for trace gas absorption
- Atmosphere-land interface now supports rain and snow phases.
ISO Topic Category
Use Constraints Users must agree to the CAM licensing before downloading source code.
Williams, J.W., B.N. Shuman, T. Webb III, P.J. Bartlein, and P.L. Leduc, 2004,
Late Quaternary vegetation dynamics in North America: scaling from taxa to
biomes Ecological Monographs, Vol. 74, No. 2, pp. 309?334, May 2004.
Creation and Review Dates