NOAA Northern Gulf of Mexico Marine Mammal Survey 2000; SightingsEntry ID: seamap37
Abstract: A continental shelf survey in Gulf of Mexico was conducted in 2000 by NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center and Minerals Management Service to examine the distribution and estimate abundance of cetaceans in U.S. waters. This dataset contains sightings of not only cetaceans but also other species including sea turtles, fish and shark observed during the ship survey.
During 16 survey days, 85 cetacean groups were sighted, including
Atlantic spotted dolphin
The dataset is accompanied by transect data which is provided as a separate file.
Purpose: The purpose of this survey is to examine the distribution and estimate abundance of cetaceans in U.S. waters. Specific objectives of this survey are:
1. Collect line-transect data to estimate abundance and define distribution of cetacean species in continental shelf waters of the northern Gulf of Mexico.
2. Obtain biopsy samples of skin and blubber from selected cetacean species for genetic and ... contaminant analysis in order to study the stock structure of Gulf of Mexico cetaceans.
3. Collect ichthyoplankton samples with bongo and neuston gear for the purpose of estimating abundance and defining the distribution of eggs, larvae, and small juveniles of Gulf of Mexico fishes, particularly king and Spanish mackerel, clupeids, lutjanids and sciaenids.
4. Obtain station associated environmental and oceanographic data throughout the survey area using the SBE 911 plus CTD and the SBE 19 Seacat Profiler.
5. Collect data on the distribution and abundance of sea turtles, seabirds and other marine life and marine debris encountered during the survey.
CURRENTNESS REFERENCE: ground condition
SPATIAL DATA ORGANIZATION INFORMATION
Direct Spatial Reference: Vector SDTS
Point and Vector Object Type: Entity point
Point and Vector Object Count: 306
SPATIAL REFERENCE INFORMATION - GEODETIC MODEL
Horizontal Datum Name: D_WGS_1984
Ellipsoid Name: WGS_1984
Semi-major Axis: 6378137.000000
Denominator of Flattening Ratio: 298.257224
NATIVE: Microsoft Windows 2000 Version 5.0 (Build 2195) Service Pack 4; ESRI ArcCatalog 18.104.22.1680
Quality For more information on potential sensor-related anomalies, consult the following URL: http://landweb.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/QA_WWW/newPage.cgi?fileName=...
Access Constraints None
Use Constraints None
Data Set Progress
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Phone: (Toll Free) (866) 573-3222
Phone: (605) 594-6116
Fax: (605) 594-6963
Email: LPDAAC at usgs.gov
LP DAAC User Services U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center 47914 252nd Street
City: Sioux Falls
Province or State: SD
Postal Code: 57198-0001
EOS Data Products Handbook Volume 2 (2000)
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2010-06-21
Last DIF Revision Date: 2012-02-16